New Jersey Transit’s Newark Broad Street Station, built between 1901 and 1903 for the Delaware, Lackawanna, and Western Railroad, is located on the northern edge of downtown Newark and listed on both the State and National Registers of Historic Places. New Jersey Transit renovated and expanded the station as one piece of a larger revitalization of the area, which included an extension of the Newark City Subway to the station and the recently completed Newark Bears’ Riverfront Stadium. The expansion of the Station included reconfiguration of the tracks and installation of high-level platforms to meet ADA requirements and to better accommodate the increased traffic caused by the implementation of direct rail service into Penn Station New York.
Working with the chief engineering firm for the project, JHPA produced a strategy for bringing the interior of the original main station building back to life, including the restoration of interior glazed brick, marble facing, decorative plasterwork, and terrazzo. An unsympathetic addition will be removed from the main waiting room and new historically appropriate light fixtures and the restoration of the original paint scheme will contribute to its improved appearance. On the exterior of the building JHPA designed a new wood storefront based on drawings and photographs of the original. The reconstructed storefront will serve as the new wheel-chair accessible entrance to the station. JHPA also provided technical guidance for the restoration of the historic railroad embankments, stone abutments, and the replication of a series of cast iron capitals at the platform.