New York NY, 1986
The New York’s Merchant Exchange was constructed at 55 Wall Street in 1836. The imposing Greek Revival structure, built of Quincy granite, was designed originally by architect Isaiah Rogers. The building replaced an earlier structure that had been destroyed in New York’s great fire of 1835.
The building served as New York’s Custom House from 1862 until 1903, when it was sold to the National City Bank Corporation for use as their Headquarters. A design by McKim, Mead and White superimposed a second granite colonnade and an additional four stories.
JHPA prepared a Historic Structure Report for the building as part of an overall conditions evaluation completed for the New York Landmarks Conservancy.