New York NY, 2010
Built in 1882 to the design of architect W. Wheeler Smith, this late cast-iron and sheet metal building epitomizes the degree of artistic expression and rythmic potential of the construction medium. The New York City Landmarks Commission designated this structure in 1980 in honor of its exemplary size, detail and relative intactnes, and today it retains nearly all of its original fabric.
Knightsbridge Properties, the owner of the building, hired JHPA to generate complete exterior cladding restoration documents, which include a detailed piece-by-piece condition survey and associated database to aid in the disassembly and restoration process. The sheer number of individual pieces and the complexity of the assemblies required close inspection and highly-detailed assembly drawings. Structural columns and pilasters are considered integral to the building, adding another layer to the restoration planning.
In the interest of creating a viable restoration project, the construction documents were packaged as part of a phased renovation in conjunction with a complete interior redevelopment. Construction began in 2009 and was completed in 2012.